MEC Blueprint Mississippi Report Calls for $375 Million Annually to Address Mississippi’s Deteriorating Roads and Bridges

January 4, 2016

An investment of an additional $375 million annually is needed to address the most vital road and bridge needs in Mississippi at the state and local level, according to a report released Friday, Dec. 18 by the MEC Blueprint Mississippi Transportation Infrastructure Task Force. MEC also announced the formation of ‘Excelerate Mississippi’, a program designed to support the initiatives outlined by the Blueprint Task Force.


The Blueprint Study determined 80 percent of the new revenue, $300 million, should be dedicated to state-owned bridge and road needs. Counties and municipalities should receive the remaining 20 percent to be split between them, both receiving $37.5 million.

A $375 million annual investment would:

  • Enable the replacement of 138 state posted bridges – those that are no longer able to carry the weight and traffic they were designed to carry.
  • Provide that all timber bridges would also be replaced.
  • Replace another 424 deficient state bridges during the 10-year timeframe.
  • Ramp up the Mississippi Department of Transportation’s pavement maintenance across the state.
  • Enable local leaders to address the roads and bridges that are in the worst conditions.

For more information about bridges by county or to see the final report visit

Original story: